Monday, January 3, 2011

Miss Queen Universe - Asia Pageant

It has been almost 2 years since I was crowned Queen of the Universe. Ever since then my life has been more colorful. There were opportunities that came for me to speak to my peers and colleagues about what's important for the Transgender community. I'm glad I was able to take advantage of a few of those and promote my platform of HIV/AIDS Education and Prevention.

Immediately after the pageant I was invited to speak at the Transgender Health Summit in San Francisco, California. There I spoke alongside a panel of speakers representing the diverse spectrum of the Transgender umbrella. We spoke to a group of about 500 community members and allies about HIV/AIDS Education and Prevention. It was moving to hear some of the audience speak up about the hardships they have faced and how that summit has helped them see how they can help themselves but also to share what they've learned with others.

I spent a weekend in March in Honolulu, Hawaii, to make an appearance at the Miss Diva of Polynesia and to help the Transgender Program at the Native Hawaiian Health Care System. The program was developing a workshop for Transgenders who are suffering from substance abuse and at risk for HIV. I met with the program staff and rearranged their workshop to make it more effective for their target population. Then I attended the glorious production of the Miss Diva of Polynesia pageant which was put together by another non-profit organization serving the Transgender community in Hawaii. I was invited onstage to share a few words of encouragement to their audience.

In June, I presented at the National HIV Prevention Conference in Atlanta, Georgia. There I spoke about the Federal agencies roles in helping advance the community in reducing the risk for HIV and for early care for people with AIDS. It was amazing how many people do not know about our needs or even the basic understanding of Transgenders. It is hopeful though to see that there are individuals in our government who are genuinely interested in our well-being.

I joined a group of Transgenders to camp out at Sequoia National Park the month after the conference. It was great fun to be outdoors in nature, fresh air, clear sky, and so many stars at night. It was very interesting roughing it in the woods with Transgender girls who are used to the luxuries of city life. It was even more interesting that these girls are pageant girls too. We utilized every piece of baby-wipes over that 3-days and 2-nights camping experience. It was astonishing how we were able to survive mosquitoes, ants, and bears. We successfully made healthy low-fat meals over a mini-propane stove and campfire. I recommend this experience to all the girls.

The most extravagant experience during my reign is being at the New York Fashion Week in the early Fall of 2005. My hosts gave me a unique perspective of the city; through the eyes of a local. Usually I do a tourist type of trip to New York but you will not see the city if you don't go into the trenches like a local does. I tasted food, saw sites, met people, and experienced things that is not available through any tour packages. The fashion show, the models, the photographers, the fashion editors, designers, and audience made that experience even more wonderful. It made my title as Queen of the Universe even more legitimate.

Throughout my reign and even after, I continually worked with the Transgender Law Center in San Francisco in providing education for community members, leaders, and allies about improving health access for the population. I also continue my consulting work with my independent group, Center for Transgender Advancement, in working with organizations in enhancing their services for our community. More recently I joined the choir at the Metropolitan Community Church of Los Angeles. I believe that practicing my faith is key to my continued success in my life as a community member and as a community worker.

My future is open to possibilities. My title has helped start discussions with community members about Transgenders, beauty, health, and our role in society. The title has also helped break the stereotypes that we are only about our looks. I have learned that there are more educated and well-learned professional Transgender women out there. I believe that those of us who are able to, we should encourage and uplift our peers to desire and achieve something better for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment